PROCESS: A code enforcement investigation begins with a written complaint from a citizen.
- This is required by Ordinance and is public record.
- The Code Enforcement Division will release a complainant's information with a written request.
- Code Enforcement Officers may complete complaint forms themselves if they witness a violation.
- Verbal/Anonymous information is accepted and investigated, however written complaints will take priority.
- Code Enforcement Officers must be able to directly witness a violation. Unverifiable information and hearsay will not be accepted.
- Generally a Code Enforcement Officer will conduct a site visit within five days of receiving a complaint unless circumstances dictate otherwise.
- Responsible parties will be notified if a violation exists. The nature and severity of penalties are assessed on a case by case basis.
Complaint forms may be picked up at the Zoning Office, 110 N. Green St, Morganton NC. Simply enter through door "C" and come to the window marked Planning/Zoning. Forms may also be mailed to you at your request by calling (828) 764-9030 and ask to speak to a Code Enforcement Officer.