Advisory Boards & Commissions
Are you interested in applying for a vacancy on a board or commission? You must be a resident of Burke County. Download an application to serve on a board or committee (PDF). Completed applications may be emailed to the Clerk or sent by fax to 828-764-9352. An original signature is required on the application.
Adult Care & Nursing Home Community Advisory Committee
Several vacancies exist. Initial terms of appointment are for one year. Training is required and provided by the Western Piedmont Council of Governments through the Aging Support Program.
Contact Christina Franklin, the Regional Ombudsman, at 828-485-4213 for more information.
Burke County Board of Social Services
Applications are being accepted for an appointment to the Burke Co. Board of Social Services. The 5-member county board of social services has the following duties and responsibilities:
- To select the county director of social services according to the merit system rules of the North Carolina Human Resources Commission;
- To advise county and municipal authorities in developing policies and plans to improve the social conditions of the community;
- To consult with the director of social services about problems relating to his office, and to assist him in planning budgets for the county department of social services;
- To transmit or present the budgets of the county department of social services for public assistance, social services, and administration to the board of county commissioners;
- To have such other duties and responsibilities as the General Assembly, the Department of Health and Human Services or the Social Services Commission or the board of county commissioners may assign to it.
The board meets on the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 8:30 a.m. and the term is for three (3) years. Please contact the Clerk at 828-764-9354 (email@example.com) to obtain an application.
Council on Aging
Several vacancies exist for at-large positions. Terms of appointment are for three years. For more information, please contact Karen Robinson at 828-381-2187.
Juvenile Crime Prevention Council
Several vacancy exists on this Council for a Juvenile Defense Attorney. The term of appointment is for two years. Two vacancies exists for students under the age of 18 and there are two vacancies for at-large seats.
One vacancy exists for a member of the business community. Contact A. J. Coutu at 828-403-1427 for more information.
Burke County Board of Adjustment
Applications are being accepted for the Board of Adjustment. Contact Scott Carpenter, Community Development Director/Deputy County Manager, at 828-764-9032 for more information.
The members of the Board of Adjustment shall be residents of the county. Two members shall be from the eastern portion of the County and two members shall be from the western portion of the County.
The fifth member shall alternate between east and west each term. One member from each portion must reside in an area zoned by the County.
See a Map of Burke County Townships (PDF).
|Icard Township||Jonas Ridge Township|
|Lovelady Township||Upper Creek Township|
|Drexel Township||Lower Creek Township|
|Upper Fork Township||Linville Township|
|Lower Fork Township||Silver Creek Township|
|Smoky Creek Township||Morganton Township|
City of Morganton - Board of Adjustment
Two vacancies exists on Morganton’s Board of Adjustment. Applicants must reside in the extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ) of the City of Morganton. Terms are for three years. For more information, please contact Phillip Lookadoo at the City of Morganton at 828-438-5260.
City of Morganton - Planning Board
Two vacancies exists on Morganton’s Planning Board. Applicants must reside in the extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ) of the City of Morganton. Terms are for three years. For more information, please contact Phillip Lookadoo at the City of Morganton at 828-438-5260.
Voluntary Agriculture Board
One vacancy exists. The term is four years. Contact Lea Ann Branch at 828-439-9727, ext. 3 for more information.
Burke County Planning Board
Applications are being accepted for the Burke Co. Planning Board. Contact the Community Department at 828-764-9030 for residency requirements and additional information.
Burke County Parks & Recreation Commission
Several vacancies exist. The term is for three years. Contact Treg McGee, Recreation Director, at 764-9092 for residency requirements, involvement in youth sports and additional information.
Western Piedmont Regional Transit Authority - Transportation Advisory Board
Two vacancies exist for at-large seats. Unless otherwise noted, the Transportation Advisory Board (TAB) Board Meetings are held at the Greenway Public Transportation offices located at:
1515 4th Street SW
Conover, NC 28613.
For more information or to fill out an application regarding the Transportation Advisory Board contact Camille Sterling at 828-465-7642.
Partners Behavioral Health Management
Advocates are needed for the Consumer and Family Advocacy Committee (CFAC) and the Human Rights Committee (HRC). For more information, contact Shirley Moore at 704-884-2646 for the CFAC and Kim Maquire at 704-884-2504 for the HRC.
- Burke County Townships (PDF)
- Committee Community Advisory Volunteer Job Description (PDF)
- Elementary School District (PDF)
- Hickory Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction Map 2013 (PDF)
- Juvenile Crime Prevention Council Information (PDF)
- Morganton Extra-Territorial Jurisdiction (PDF)
- Transportation Advisory Board Application (PDF)