March 26, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: COVID-19 Burke County Media Briefing
Burke County’s Response to COVID-19
- The health department has tested approximately 78 individuals with continual daily testing as testing materials are available
- Of those 78, 61 results have been received and 59 negative and 2 positive cases
- Public information line has been opened Monday through Friday, 8am – 5pm for those with questions can call 828-764-9388.
- After hours, general questions can be directed to NC Public Information Line at 1-866-462-3821
Update from Burke County Health Department:
The Burke County WIC Program is continuing to serve current participants and applicants. Applications, Certification renewals, and Mid-certification assessments are now able to be processed by phone. Please allow a minimum of 30 to 45 minutes per call to complete applications, certification renewals and Mid certification assessments. Participants due for food benefit issuance should call to complete their mini lesson by phone or go online to www.WIChealth.org with staff and then have benefits issued. Participants and new applicants please call (828)764-9207 or (828)764-9212. For Spanish call (828)764-9208.
Updates from Burke County Public Schools:
Changes coming to meal distribution program
School sites closed this weekend
6 meals per student will be handed out on Friday
BCPS would like to announce a few changes in our meal distribution program.
The eight (8) school sites will not be open this weekend for meals to be picked up.
Instead, on Friday, students will receive 6 meals:
- And breakfast for Monday.
The meals will include frozen packages from The Good Kitchen, which made a generous donation to Burke County Public Schools. The packages include a protein, vegetable and a brownie. The Good Kitchen announced that when heating the package, to remove the brownie. The instructions omitted this step, but the brownie will burn if it is heated with the meal.
The eight (8) school sites will re-open on Monday and our buses will return to their scheduled stops, plus we are adding more buses and stops to the schedule. We will release the new stops and times on Friday afternoon.
The meals are served between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The eight (8) school sites are:
- Table Rock Middle School
- Liberty Middle School
- Mountain View Elementary School
- Hillcrest Elementary School
- Valdese Elementary School
- East Burke Middle School
- Ray Childers Elementary School
- George Hildebrand Elementary
Continue to use this link for the bus stop times and locations for Friday only: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ly2pRz_MktGueSRLfkSDyqgBceflw9KhFfijMlRJVTs/edit?usp=sharing
Here is a video link to the huge food donation Burke County Schools received today.
Update from OPTIONS:
We are still operating 24 hours a day but with limited staff. We are not holding community support groups and court is only open on Thursdays, so all criminal cases are on hold. Otherwise working as usual.
Update from BIG BROTHERS BIG SISTERS:
- With the rapidly developing situation concerning the COVID outbreak, we have decided that for
the safety of the Littles, families and the Big’s, we need to suspend all face-to-face match
activities for the next two weeks. Hopefully, this decision, along with the school closings and
other restrictions will help to prevent the further spread of the COVID-19.
- Our Match Support staff will be reaching out to each of you to assist with ways for the Littles
and Big’s to stay connected during this time. Our goal is also to help connect you with the
resources that your family might need during this time.
- If you have any questions or concerns about this, please call 828 253-1470. Also, please
check our Facebook and website page for updates and/or activity suggestions.
Updates from the MEETING PLACE MISSION:
- The Meeting Place Mission serves those who are homeless and at imminent risk of homelessness.
- During this time of the COVID-19 outbreak, our emergency shelter and transitional homes are taking extra precautions to ensure the safety of our clients and staff. Our organization adheres to the recommendations and guidelines outlined by the CDC and our Continuum of Care. During this particular outbreak, our organization is taking the following steps as defined by the Interim Guidance for Homeless Shelters checklist from the CDC.
- While the COVID-19 situation is in place, our organization will continue to work with our local health resources to ensure the best care for our homeless individuals.
- COVID-19 Action Plan for The Meeting Place:
- As of this date, we will halt intake of any new shelter/transitional housing residents until further notice
- Any resident currently in the shelter/transitional home that decides to leave may not
return until the ban has been lifted
- Visitation has been halted at all transitional housing facilities until further notice. No
Visitors will be allowed at our emergency shelter.
Updates from BURKE LITERACY COUNCIL:
- The Burke County Literacy Council office currently remains open from 8AM – 3:00PM.
- The building is closed to visitors. We encourage you to call the office for any assistance. The phone number is 828-437-7477 or 828-432-5430.
- We have cancelled Project Flower classes at our offices and all on-to-one tutoring due to COVID-19 until further notice.
- Project Flower classes are being held online via ZOOM. Students can call the office to join the classes.
- Visit our website at www.burkeliteracy.org and our FaceBook page for updates.
- Staff email:
- Sharon Leftwich, family literacy coordinator (Project Flower) –firstname.lastname@example.org
Connie Becker, Office Manager
Browning Rochefort, Executive/Program Director