April 7, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: COVID-19 Burke County Media Briefing
Burke County’s Response to COVID-19
• Burke County is reporting 29 positive cases. The cases consist of both traveling and community spread. All positive cases are isolated.
• Public information line has been opened Monday through Friday, 8am – 5pm for those with questions can call 828-764-9388.
• After hours, general questions can be directed to NC Public Information Line at 1-866-462-3821
Update from Burke County Commissioners:
• Visit this You Tube link for an important Video Public Service Announcement message to Burke County residents: https://youtu.be/_MrU_tobYPE
• Commissioners really want residents to be careful with the sites they visit to get information. Some sites like the recently noted site (infection2020) has malware and does not have accurate information. For correct information please go to one of these sites: www.burkenc.org/COVID-19 or www.ncdhhs.gov/coronavirus .
Update from 911 Communications:
• Citizens that experience an emergency should continue to call 9-1-1
• All callers, should be prepared to answer basic medical screening questions regardless of the nature of the call for the safety of first responders
• Citizens wishing to report violations of the Governor’s Stay at Home order or restrictions on mass gatherings, should not call the EOC or 9-1-1 but contact the communications center administrative line at 828-437-1911
Update from Child Care Connections:
Child Care Connections of Burke County has been appointed by the Division of Health and Human Services and Division of Child Development and Early Education to be the liaison between local licensed childcare programs and family childcare home, who will remain opened during the COVID-19 pandemic.
These programs will serve and care for critical and essential workers, and desperately local resources in Burke County. We are asking for the community and area businesses to assistance the childcare community to donate or sell items that will allow these programs to remain open and care for children of these critical/essential workers.
Another option is for businesses, such as grocery stores, to provide special hours for the childcare community to purchase supplies for their businesses. Child Care Connections of Burke County, Inc. is setting up data availability on resources such as food, milk, and supplies (toilet paper, baby wipes, diapers, cleaning supplies, etc.)
Anything that you can do as an individual, business, or corporation will be beneficial in the life of a child, especially those whose families are fighting COVID-19 on the frontlines. If you are unable to donate supplies, monetary gifts can be taken via our agency at:
Child Care Connections
PO Box 630
Morganton, NC 28680
A special fund will be used to purchase items childcare providers need during this time. Thank you for your support during this difficult time! For more information, please contact Child Care Connections of Burke County at 828-439-2328 extension 0.
If you have any further questions or need additional information, contact the Burke County Public Information Line at 828-764-9388, Monday – Friday from 8am – 5pm and after hours the NC Public Information Line number is provided as a resource to contact. The operator will answer your questions or direct you to the correct person to answer your questions. Or you can also visit the Burke County COVID-19 webpage at www.burkenc.org/COVID-19. If you are having a medical emergency, call 9-1-1 and inform the dispatcher that you have symptoms listed for COVID-19.