The Chief Justice of the NC Supreme Court has determined that "catastrophic conditions resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic have existed and continue to exist in all counties of this state." Court Operations are now being expanded beyond the emergency, but we are not back to business as normal. As a result, efforts are underway to limit any unnecessary footprint the in courthouse during this time.
You should not be in the courthouse or courtroom if you meet any of the following criteria:
Have traveled internationally within the preceding 14 days
Are experiencing fever, cough, or shortness of breath;
Have a fever higher than a 100.4 degrees;
Have had a sudden loss of sense of smell or taste’
Have been directed to quarantine, isolate or self-monitor;
Have a known exposure to Covid 19;
Have tested positive for or have been diagnosed with Covid 19 within the last 30 days, or
Reside with or have been in close contact with any person in the above-mentioned categories;
If you meet any of the criteria above, please contact the Clerk of Court at 828-433-3200 and give them your name and the type of court for which you are expected to attend.
Please call the Clerk of Court office or visit NC courts.gov at least 48 hours later to get your new court date.
The number of people in each courtroom is restricted. Witnesses or other parties essential to your case including family members, they will have to wait outside the courthouse until your case is called. When your case is called you may communicate with them by text or other electronic means so that they can be present during your case. If electronic communication is not available to you let court personnel know and reasonable accommodations will be made to contact them provided that your case is not unnecessarily delayed. In any event, social distancing must be maintained.
The no cell phone rule has been suspended. Cell phones are permitted in the courthouse to facilitate communications with victims or witnesses who may be required to wait outside the courthouse and to communicate with attorneys. Phones shall be placed on silent or vibrating mode while in the courtroom. Cell phones shall not be utilized to record either audio or video or still photos of court proceedings or any persons in the courtroom without the express permission of the presiding judge. Cell phones shall not be used to play games, watch videos, listen to music, or for other entertainment. Anyone who abuses this privilege will be subject to sanctions including but not limited to seizure of their cell phone until their case is completed at which time the phone shall be returned. capacity is limited due to the CDC social distancing protocols.
All parties are encouraged to go to www.nccourts.gov if they have any questions.
General Guidance for the week of June 1-5, 2020
Criminal District Court in Courtroom 2
- Defendants who have an attorney should contact his/her attorney to find out what time he/she should appear.
- Defendants who are not currently represented by an attorney should not appear on his/her court date until 2pm. Once the courtroom capacity has been met, individuals will have to wait until others leave the courtroom to guarantee social distancing protocols are followed.
Family Court in Courtroom 3
- These are domestic cases and are scheduled day and time specific. If you have questions about your case, please contact the Family Court Case Coordinator, Ronda Hedrick, at 828-433-3215.
Juvenile Court in Courtroom 2
- Juvenile Delinquency and Undisciplined Court will start at 9am. Please contact the Juvenile Court Counselor if you have any questions.
- Juvenile Abuse, Neglect and Dependency Court will start no earlier than 11am. Please contact the Burke County Department of Social Services if you have any questions.
Domestic Violence, Divorce and Child Support Court in the Annex Courtroom
- Domestic Violence matters will take priority in this court.
- Divorces will be heard throughout the day as scheduling allows.
- Child Support Agents will be working with families prior court on Thursday and have set times for parties to attend.