July 27, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: COVID-19 Burke County Media Briefing
Burke County’s Response to COVID-19
• Burke County is currently at 1524 positive cases. These are cumulative cases for the county. If you want to see a breakdown of the cases please go visit the https://www.burkenc.org/dashboard webpage. The dashboard is updated late in the evening every day.
• Para español llame al 764-9150 y presione el número dos. Si nadie contesta deje un corto mensaje con su nombre y numero de teléfono.
Update/change in Guidance from the NC Department of Health and Human Services:
• A test-based strategy (requiring negative tests) is no longer recommended to discontinue isolation except for very specific reasons in consultation with Public Health staff
• For people who were previously positive for COVID-19 and who continue to have no symptoms, retesting is not recommended within 6 to 12 weeks after the date of initial test or date symptoms began
• Some who have been positive for COVID-19 could test positive for up to 12 weeks after the recovery period but people DO NOT continue to shed the virus after 10 days from the first day of symptoms or if asymptomatic 10 days after positive test result
Update from Burke County Health Department:
Burke County Health Department will be hosting a drive through COVID 19 testing clinic at the Jonas Ridge Fire Department details below:
Date: Sunday, August 2, 2020
Location: Jonas Ridge Fire Department
Time: 1:00 – 4:00 PM
Cost: Testing is free but bring your insurance card if you have it.
Preferred: Call 828-764-9168 to pre-register, but you can drop in and get tested if you don’t pre-register. The reason we ask you to pre-register - so we know how much staff and testing supplies to bring. Drop-ins will be welcome.
You don’t have to be a Burke County resident to be tested.
Please remember that all residents who are tested for COVID-19 are to STAY AT HOME until their test results come back unless they are an essential worker and have no symptoms and they can return to work as long as they wear a MASK AT ALL TIMES when working.
Please remember: All residents are required to wear a face covering inside and outside when you cannot physically distance yourself more than 6 feet away from others. Public Health would ask that you follow the Executive Order.
If you have any further questions or need additional information, contact the Burke County Public Information Line at 828-764-9168, Monday – Friday from 8am – 5pm. After hours, weekends and holidays, please leave a message and your call will be answered as soon as staff returns. Or you can also visit the Burke County COVID-19 webpage at www.burkenc.org/COVID-19.