DETENTION/JAIL OFFICER CANDIDATES
Starting pay: $16.18 per hour, plus time and ½ for any hours over 40 per workweek
Burke County will be holding career presentations, open to job seekers with the following qualifications:
- At least age 21
- Clean criminal history
- Able to work 12 hour shifts on a “3 shifts on, followed by 3 shifts off, followed by 2 shifts on, followed by 2 shifts off” rotation. Night shift is 5:30pm to 5:30am; Day shift is 5:30am to 5:30pm (note this schedule involves working every other weekend and some holidays)
- Patience, compassion, a desire to help others and serve the public, confidentiality, integrity, dependability, ability and interest in walking significant distances during a shift
You provide the work ethic and great attitude, and we provide the training!
To learn more, please attend one of the following presentations where you will have an opportunity to meet with the hiring managers, and learn more about the job and the great, Burke County benefits.
COVID precautions: Burke County is all about safety, so please wear a mask if you have one; if you do not have one, one will be provided to you at the door; we will ensure attendees sit 6+ feet apart.
Foothills Higher Education Center
(park in the parking lot closest to Longhorn Steakhouse)
2128 S. Sterling Street Morganton, NC 28655
1st Session: Saturday, August 22, 2020, starting at 10:00am
We will be inviting 7 candidates in at a time, and conducting approximately 10 minute presentation, then inviting in the next group of 7, then repeating. Our last group will be at 11:50am and if there are remaining candidates, they will be able to attend the August 29th sessions.
2nd Session: Saturday, August 29, 2020, starting at 10:00am
We will be inviting 7 candidates in at a time, and conducting approximately 10 minute presentation, then inviting in the next group of 7, then repeating. Our last group will be at 11:50am. We will consider holding additional sessions in the near future based on interest.
WHY YOU SHOULD BE INTERESTED
--JOB SECURITY: Ups and downs in the economy does not impact any communities need to staff detention facilities; if you ever need to relocate to another state or city, there are detention facilities everywhere.
--RETIREMENT BENEFITS: 401(k)/457(b) plans with matching contributions by Burke County; separate pension plan vests after only 5 years; full retirement benefits after 30 years of service
--FREE TRAINING ON COMPANY TIME: We train! Prior detention facility experience is not required.
--GREAT BENEFITS (sampling):
- Free, local health clinic for employees and their BC insurance covered dependents
- Employer-paid Health Insurance Premiums (Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO and/or HSA) for employee coverage
- Employer-paid Dental Insurance Premiums
- Free, annual sessions with Employee Assistance Program
- 401(k), 457(b) with first 1 or 2% employee contribution matched dollar-for-dollar by Burke County
- 12 Paid Holidays
- 96 hours Vacation Accrual (2 weeks plus 2 days) annually
- 96 hours Sick Leave Accrual (2 weeks plus 2 days) annually
- Flexible Dependent Care (Child Care) Spending Account
- Flexible Healthcare Spending Account
- Term Life Insurance
- Whole Life Insurance
- Critical Incident Insurance
- Short Term Disability Insurance
- Retirement Plan/Pension Plan with 5-year vesting
How will I apply? You may request a Sheriff’s Standards Recruiting Packet in advance of your session and therefore be able to arrive at a session with it already completed by emailing a request for a packet to: email@example.com , or you may pick up a packet at the end of your session and return it to 150 Government Drive, Morganton, NC 28655 once fully completed.
We look forward to meeting you!