November 6, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: COVID-19 Burke County Media Briefing
Burke County’s Response to COVID-19
• Burke County is currently at 3269 positive cases. These are cumulative cases for the county. If you want to see a breakdown of the cases please go visit the https://www.burkenc.org/dashboard webpage
• Para español llame al 764-9150 y presione el número dos. Si nadie contesta deje un corto mensaje con su nombre y numero de teléfono.
Please plan to get your flu shot if you haven’t already gotten one. It is important to reduce the number of flu cases within our area along with COVID-19.
We are moving into the holiday season where social gatherings are normally held between family, friends, neighbors, etc. Any of these types of gatherings pose a risk for COVID-19 transmission along with the flu. This includes private or public gatherings.
Here are the basics:
**DO NOT HOST OR ATTEND A GATHERING IF:
- YOU HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH COVID-19
- YOU ARE WAITING ON COVID-19 TEST RESULTS
- YOU ARE EXPERIENCING SYMPTOMS OF COVID-19
- YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD BY THE HEALTH DEPARMENT TO QUARANTINE OR ISOLATE
- YOU MAY HAVE BEEN EXPOSED TO SOMEONE WITH COVID-19
No gatherings can exceed the current limits within the Governor’s Executive Order of 25 people indoors and 50 people outdoors. Outdoor activities are always preferred over indoor since being in the wind and air can help reduce the spread of this virus. If you are going to have a small gathering regardless of the recommendations, please make sure that people wear their face coverings while inside and that EVERYONE physically distances themselves more than 6 feet away from others.
The health department received social gathering guidance and will be posting the complete packet on their FaceBook page and COVID-19 webpage. These addresses and locations will be addressed in the media briefings next week.
If you are calling just to make an appointment for COVID-19 testing, please call 828-764-9150. If you are getting a test for COVID-19, it is extremely important to give correct names (what name is on your birth certificate, not names you go by) and addresses so positive numbers can be directed and counted in the correct county. This helps to keep the data more accurate for each county.
If you have any further questions or need additional information, contact the Burke County Public Information Line at 828-764-9168, Monday – Friday from 8am – 5pm. After hours, weekends and holidays, please leave a message and your call will be answered as soon as staff returns. Or you can also visit the Burke County COVID-19 webpage at www.burkenc.org/COVID-19.