FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
COVID-19 Information Contacts
December 14, 2020 Public Information Line: 828-764-9150
COVID-19 Burke County Media Briefing Website: www.burkenc.org/COVID-19
Burke County’s Response to COVID-19
• Burke County is currently at 5085 positive cases. These are cumulative cases for the county. If you want to see a breakdown of the cases, please go visit the https://www.burkenc.org/dashboard webpage
• Para español llame al 764-9150 y presione el número dos. Si nadie contesta deje un corto mensaje con su nombre y numero de teléfono.
Please plan to get your flu shot if you haven’t already gotten one. It is important to reduce the number of flu cases within our area along with COVID-19.
Testing News from the Health Department:
The Burke County Health Department will not be doing any COVID-19 testing from December 22 through January 1, 2020 due to the Christmas holiday closings. Testing will resume on Monday, January 4, 2021.
Burke County Government offices will be closed December 24, 25, 28 and January 1 in observance of the Christmas and New Year holidays.
NC Department of Health and Human Services Guidance for Winter Holidays:
Any scenario where people gather in large groups poses a risk for continued spread of COVID-19.
• CDC recommends the safest way to celebrate the holidays is to only gather with the people that you live with. Gathering with large groups, even family, that you do not live with can increase the risk of spreading COVID-19.
• If you gather at the holidays, please make it small and adhere to the gathering requirements (10 people indoors and 50 people outdoors – and being 6 feet or more away from others) and stay outside.
• Governor’s Order requires face coverings to be worn indoors when you are visiting or having people visit your home that are not people with whom you live.
• Even if you have a negative test, you should wear a mask, stay away from others, avoid crowds, and monitor yourself for symptoms.
• If you are traveling during the holidays, it is recommended to get tested 1-3 days before you travel. Get tested 3-5 days after travel AND stay home for 7 days after you travel.
If you are needing a COVID test before the Christmas and New Year’s holidays, you will need to plan and contact testing sites to check their modified testing schedule because of office/pharmacy and lab closures due to the holidays. COVID testing samples cannot be taken and shipped if there isn’t a lab open to receive it and process the sample before it is no longer useable.
You can read the complete list of recommendations for the winter holidays posted on the health department’s COVID-19 webpage and FaceBook page.
If you are calling just to make an appointment for COVID-19 testing, please call 828-764-9150. The Burke County Public Information Line is answered Monday – Friday from 8am – 5pm. After hours, weekends and holidays, please leave a message and your call will be answered as soon as staff returns.