FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE COVID-19 Information Contacts
December 31, 2020 Public Information Line: 828-764-9150
COVID-19 Burke County Media Briefing Website: www.burkenc.org/COVID-19
There will not be a media briefing distributed on Friday, January 1, 2021. Burke County’s data dashboard will not be updated on the following days: Thursday, December 31 and Friday, January 1. As always residents can check data listed on the NC Department of Health and Human Services COVID-19 webpage.
Testing News from the Health Department:
Burke County Health Department will resume COVID-19 testing on Monday, January 4, 2021. For the month of January, testing will occur on Mondays and Tuesdays from 8am -12pm at the health department.
Burke County Government offices will be closed January 1 in observance of the New Year holiday.
**Even though the health department will not be testing during the Christmas holiday, the staff will continue receiving reports from other labs, providing media briefings and completing contact tracing during the holiday period.**
A list of testing sites can be found on the Health Department’s FaceBook page or COVID-19 webpage.
NC Department of Health and Human Services Guidance for Winter Holidays:
Any scenario where people gather in large groups poses a risk for continued spread of COVID-19.
• CDC recommends the safest way to celebrate the holidays is to only gather with the people that you live with. Gathering with large groups, even family, that you do not live with can increase the risk of spreading COVID-19.
• If you gather at the holidays, please make it small and adhere to the gathering requirements (10 people indoors and 50 people outdoors – and being 6 feet or more away from others) and stay outside.
• Governor’s Order requires face coverings to be worn indoors when you are visiting or having people visit your home that are not people with whom you live.
• Even if you have a negative test, you should wear a mask, stay away from others, avoid crowds, and monitor yourself for symptoms.
• If you are traveling during the holidays, it is recommended to get tested 1-3 days before you travel. Get tested 3-5 days after travel AND stay home for 7 days after you travel.
People who have been recently diagnosed with COVID-19, have symptoms of COVID-19, have been around a person with COVID-19 or been tested for COVID-19, should not host or participate in any in-person gatherings until they complete their isolation or quarantine period.
You can read the complete list of recommendations for the winter holidays posted on the health department’s COVID-19 webpage and FaceBook page.
If you are calling just to make an appointment for COVID-19 testing, please call 828-764-9150. The Burke County Public Information Line is answered Monday – Friday from 8am – 5pm. After hours, weekends and holidays, please leave a message and your call will be answered as soon as staff returns.