NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARINGS
BURKE COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
JUNE 15, 2021
The Zoning Ordinance is the official document used to regulate land use within Burke County. This update will be the first major overhaul since its adoption on November 21, 1996. The goal of the Zoning Ordinance revision is to update and clarify zoning regulations, reflect current use trends and development practices, and create an illustrated and user-friendly ordinance. The new Zoning Ordinance draft is in conformance with the new statewide unified zoning laws, Chapter 160D of the North Carolina General Statute. Chapter 160D is currently in effect but local governments have until July 1, 2021 to adopt these amendments. In conjunction with the Zoning Ordinance Revision, Burke County is seeking to rescind the following zoning districts:
- I-40 Overlay District, all parcels will revert to of their corresponding General Zoning District.
- Estate Lot Conservation District (CD-E), one-hundred thirteen (113) parcels of land consisting of approximately 5,005-acres to be rezoned to the Conservation District (CON)
- Estate Lot Conservation-Conditional District (CD-E-CD), one-hundred fifty-seven (157) parcels of land consisting of approximately 676 acres to be rezoned to the Conservation District (CON)
- Low-Density Conservation District (CD-L), four-hundred seventy-one (471) parcels of land consisting of approximately 9,860-acres to be rezoned to the Conservation District (CON)
- Low-Density Conservation Conditional District (CD-L-CD), one-hundred eighteen (118) parcels of land consisting of approximately 513-acres to be rezoned to the Conservation District (CON)
The Burke County Board of Commissioners will hold public hearings on the new zoning ordinance and proposed rezonings at 6:00 PM (or as soon as persons may be heard) on June 15, 2021 in the Commissioners’ Meeting Room, Burke Services Building, 110 N. Green St. in Morganton, NC (Door E). Lists of the affected parcels and the draft zoning ordinance are posted on the County’s website, www.burkenc.org, and are available for public inspection in the County Manager’s office, 200 Avery Avenue, the Community Development Department (110 N. Green St.), the public libraries and senior centers during normal business hours. Please contact Burke County Community Development at (828) 764-9030 with questions about the new zoning ordinance or the proposed rezonings. In accordance with ADA regulations, persons in need of an accommodation to participate in the meeting should call the County Manager’s office (828.764.9350) at least forty-eight (48) hours prior to the meeting. Face coverings are not required for citizens that are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.