The Community Development Office of Burke County is updating the Blueprint Burke - Strategic Land Use Plan (Blueprint Burke Plan) in order to reflect current community data and adjust the future land use map which is an important component for the plan.
The Blueprint Burke Plan is a land use plan that is used to manage land uses over time in Burke County. The plan process has included review of current data on employment, population and demographics in our community. Current employment sectors have also been reviewed and compared with past time periods. The plan contains a series of goals for our community to grow our population, retain and expand a robust economy and maintain a high quality of life for our residents.
Some notes and conclusion from the draft plan include:
- The economy in Burke County is more diverse today than in decades past which should make us more resilient to changes in the economy in the future
- Housing is in short supply and prices are higher which is good for current homeowners but makes it difficult for younger families to find reasonable housing
- Burke County needs to attract people who are in their working years to maintain and expand our current economy
- Support for recreation assets provides for a high quality of life for Burke residents and is becoming an emerging area of our economy as recreation-based tourism
- Infrastructure investments will provide a framework for growth in the County
- The Future Land Use map better aligns with current zoning and land use expectations in the future
The draft plan is in an edited form and items in RED lettering are proposed changes and additions. The current adopted plan was completed in 2015. The Blueprint Burke Plan will be presented to the Planning Board for recommendation and then sent to the Burke County Board of Commissioners for consideration and approval during the Fall of 2022. Community Development Staff is encouraging all citizens to review the draft plan and submit their comments by clicking this link. We will be accepting comments until September 30, 2022 and can be shared at upcoming public hearing with Planning Board review and Board of Commissioners review.
Thank you for your time and your contribution to keep Burke County All About Advancing!
View the Blueprint Burke Update Draft (revised Jan 2023)